A custom OS is basically a customized operating system that provides you with some special features and boosts the speed of your android phone that usually your manufacturer does not provide.
If you are an Android phone user, then initially your phone comes with a default manufacturing operating system based on android that is provided by your phone manufacturer. Default operating systems are based on the overall functionality of a phone, which makes the OS a little bit heavy and slow.
On the other hand, custom OS offers you the latest updates, maintaining a light and fast operating system that gives you an excellent experience of using android. Custom operating systems are built with specific criteria in mind.
Have you ever considered installing a custom OS on your phone? In this article, I am going to talk about all the necessary details about a custom OS.
What does a custom OS mean?
A stock OS is the default phone operating system that comes with your phone when you buy it. But the scenario in custom OS is a little different. A custom OS comes with a highly customized OS that focuses on the target audience.
Some custom OSes are designed for better gaming performance, some are designed for better battery backup, similarly, there are some custom OSes that are designed for specialized cameras.
Why should you use a custom OS?
Each phone has a default OS, which means that, if you have a Google phone, you will use only the OS of that phone. If you want to experience the OS of another brand, then you have to buy another phone.
However, if you use a custom OS, you can take the experience of another OS on the same phone. You can get the default Android look on a custom OS with the replacement of all customization of the manufacturer.
Is custom OS safe?
Custom operating systems are as safe as the stock operating systems. They also provide good security, unless you download the correct version of the custom operating system. So make sure you have downloaded the correct version of the custom OS for your phone and installed it correctly.
Can custom ROMs steal information?
Custom Os don’t steal your data. it is the same as other OS. Third-party apps installed on your custom OS and given permission to access your data may steal your information. That is why never install unauthorized apps on your custom OS which can steal your data.
How to install a custom OS?
Installing custom OS is a simple process. But you have to be a little bit careful with the installation process. Let’s check out the installation process:
- Data Cable
- Unlocker the flash tool of your phone. Search it on google, then download and install it from the search results.
- ADB. Search it on google, then download and install it from the search results.
- ADB Drivers. Download it from here, https://adbdriver.com/downloads/ and then install it.
- TWRP (Recovery). Download it from here, https://twrp.me/
- Platform tool. Search it on google, then download and extract it.
Create a backup (Custom Recovery):
Unlock Developer Mode
- First, go to the phone settings.
- Then select about the phone and click 7 times on your phone version. It will unlock the developer option on your phone.
- Then go to the Additional setting, scroll down and click on the Developer option, then enable USB debugging.
- First of all, open the official unlocker app on your computer.
- Then, log in with your phone’s account.
- Then, go to fast boot mode by clicking the volume down and power off button at the same time.
- Then, connect your phone with your computer with a data cable.
- Finally, click on the Unlock button.
It will take some time to unlock your phone, so keep patient and wait for some time.
- First of all, go to fast boot mode by clicking the volume down and power off button at the same time.
- Now open the unzip file of the platform tool on your computer.
- Then copy the TWRP file and paste it on the platform tool file.
- Then copy the platform tool file and paste it on the C drive. Open the folder, type cmd on the address bar, and hit the enter button to open the windows power shell.
- Now, in Windows Power Shell type “Fastboot Devices” and hit the enter button. If the result shows you a random serial number, that means your device is connected. If you can not see this kind of serial number, that means your device is not connected to your computer. Check your cable is ok or the ADB driver is installed properly.
- Then type fastboot<space>flash<space>recovery<space>drag the TWRP image file here and hit the enter button. If the result shows finished, that means your recovery is complete.
- Now, disconnect your phone from the computer and remove the data cable.
- Then turn on the recovery mode on your phone by pressing the volume up button and power button at a time. When the phone’s screen is going to turn off then lift your finger from the power button and keep pressing the volume up button. It will take you to the TWRP recovery system page.
Install custom OS
- First of all, download any custom OS you want.
- Next, go to TWRP recovery mode again.
- Then, click on wipe cache and select Dalvik/ ART Cache, Cache, System, Vendor, Data. And swipe right on the slider.
- Then, back to the home page and click on Install.
- Then, choose the custom Os file you have downloaded and swipe right on the slider.
- It will start to install the custom OS. It may take 2-3 minutes, so keep patients and wait.
- Then, click to Wipe Cache and swipe right on the slider.
- Finally, click on the Reboot system.
If your phone is stuck on the bootloader page then go to TWRP recovery mode again, and click Wipe Cache, and swipe right the slider. After that click on Reboot. Now it will install perfectly without any error.
Make sure you follow the processes step by step.
What amount of time does a custom OS require to download?
There are lots of Custom OS available on the internet, and all of them are different sizes. Now, how long does your desired custom OS take to download, it completely depends on your internet connection and the file size you are downloading?
In most cases, a custom OS is about 1 to 2.5 GB. If you have a good reliable internet connection, then it will not take that long.
Can I get back to the stock OS?
Yes, you can get back to stock OS any time you want. Let me show you the processes:
- First of all, you need to Root your phone.
- Then, Unlock the Bootloader. The unlocking process of the Bootloader is already given above.
- Then, install a custom recovery. If any incident occurs it will help you to recover your system. You can install any recovery like TWRP, Orang Fox.
- Then, download the correct version of the stock OS for your device.
- After that, Go to the Custom Recovery mode, then choose “Wipe Everything” and back to the Home page.
- Now, tap on Install Zip and select the stock OS zip file you have downloaded.
The best Custom OS list for Android that you can install:
- Pixel Experience
- Evolution X
- Corvus OS
- Revenge OS
- Arrow OS
- Bliss ROM
- Project Sakura
- MSM Extended
- Paranoid Android
- Syberia OS
- Potato Project
If you get bored of using the default OS and want to try something new, there is no alternative to the custom ROM. Custom OS brings a new experience to your mobile device. Although no custom ROM will be as stable as stock ROM.
But having a custom ROM does give you the liberty to sacrifice a few points of stability in order to gain tons of features. If you need a better OS for gaming you may install Corvus OS. It gives you the best gaming experience and a good battery backup.